First Flight Cruisers Forum  

Go Back   First Flight Cruisers Forum > Club News and Announcements > News
Forum Home Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News This should be your first stop!

Old August 29th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #1
OBXCharterCaptain

Default Hurricane Irene

We survived the storm with just a little limb and shrubery damage. Our prayers go out to all those that were not so lucky......Looks like the folks on Hatteras Island will have a long couple of months, if not longer. If the club wants to do something for them.....let me know and I can get it to the right people.
OBXCharterCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 09:58 PM   #2
05Roush
FFC President

Send a message via Skype™ to 05Roush

Glad to hear you guys came through with minimal damage. Our next board meeting is 9/13/11, if you have any ideas about how we can help Hatteras please present to the board during the meeting.

How did everyone else fair? Has anyone been able to reach James? He called yesterday on his way home from OH but I didn't have reliable cell service until today and our calls kept dropping.

We'll be cleaning creek mud for quite some time. We had 28" of flood water in the attached garage/stairwell and about 32" in the garage out back. I haven't even opened the work shed yet as I'm not sure I want to know. In the event anyone is curious, the club trailer was put on the highest point on our property and was surely flooded. That is another area I have not made my way to as of yet.

I know for certain that Brian Depedro and Bob Darden experienced damaging flooding as well. I spoke with JT and he reported minor damage around his house in the Avalon area. Kim and Eddie were luckily dry back in Colington Harbor.

Anyone have any other updates from other club members?

Anissa
FFC President
252-202-1054

"When I was a little girl, Barbie's head was the ball and her body was the bat."
05Roush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #3
Airhead

Eddie and I will be going to Anissas tomorrow after work to help where we can. If anyone else needs us please contact either of us, we will do what we can to help.
I saw Di was on and she okay with minimal damage. Anyone talked to Steve? I think our friends may need some hands too. Message me if you dont have my number i will be happy to lend a hand....
As for the trailer I think our members cone before that but will organize s cleaning day when we all have less on our minds.
Kim

"You had me at VROOM-VROOM..."
Airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #4
OBXCharterCaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
Eddie and I will be going to Anissas tomorrow after work to help where we can. If anyone else needs us please contact either of us, we will do what we can to help.
I saw Di was on and she okay with minimal damage. Anyone talked to Steve? I think our friends may need some hands too. Message me if you dont have my number i will be happy to lend a hand....
As for the trailer I think our members cone before that but will organize s cleaning day when we all have less on our minds.
Kim
We went to Steve's late this afternoon. His home was spared the flooding but his garage was not. Lots of standing water and downed tree limbs in his yard.
OBXCharterCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #5
obxladyDi

Are we going to meet at Pete's tonight or should we just go to one of our members houses for help with clean up?
obxladyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #6
05Roush
FFC President

Di, we won't be going tonight but I haven't heard from anyone else about their plans.

We're cleaning and scrubbing and will keep that up as much as possible until the job is done. I was hoping other member would be posting with updates. I'd love to know if anyone needs help. I've been texting and calling those that I know live soundside but I'm certain I've missed a few.

I did just talk to Nora Lee and they are having a heck of a time over there. Some water in the garage and study but their big issue right now is that most of their back yard went into the sound and they are in dire need of bulkheading. If anyone has a personal contact, please let them know. I sent her NE Marines number but 2 or 3 estimates wouldn't be a bad thing to have!

I also talked to James in Columbia and other than a few siding issues, he came through unscathed!!

Anissa
FFC President
252-202-1054

"When I was a little girl, Barbie's head was the ball and her body was the bat."
Old August 30th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #7
obxladyDi

My ins. co says leave everything lay till they inspect it. so I get to look at it for a while. I really hated to hear so many cruisers with such bad flooding problems. I was lucky. May rid down to see if anybody is there.
obxladyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 12:54 PM   #8
Airhead

I have heard from Steve, Pat and Claude, James, Brian and JT.

All are doing okay. Some did get water but thankfully their homes were not lost. There will be lots of clean up for some and since Eddie and I were spared we offered to help any of the other members that may need some help with theirs.

It would be nice to know everyone made it okay although there was some property damage or loss lives were not and that is truly all that matters.

I will say that the club trailer and contents will need to be taken out and assessed. This is the responsibility of every member to help if they can.

Please email me who will be willing to help me take that on. It is not any one persons job and will need to be done within the next few days before things mold.

Thank you to those who did call to check on us, we feel blessed to have such good friends.

"You had me at VROOM-VROOM..."
Airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 10:18 PM   #9
DT/NoTime

"Have Gloves, Will Travel..." I'm here and I"m in. When and where? Call me. I had offered to those interested, to leave any vehicles 0utside at my house, which stayed dry through this storm. My soundside home in KDH was not so fortunate. They're is always the chance of a falling tree at the big house, but this time the worst were RPG pine cones and sweet-gum balls. I hope we don't need it but, If there is another storm, the offer stands. No guarantees on anything not hitting them, but cars here should stay dry. Just get them home after the weather clears to preserve my marital peace. Room for about 15-20. Brian and Eddie have "DIBS" on the primo spots. -DT

Last edited by DT/NoTime; September 1st, 2011 at 10:06 AM.
DT/NoTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 10:13 AM   #10
05Roush
FFC President

DT - sorry to hear of the damage at the KDH house. Is the house currently occupied? Do you need help with the clean up?

I spoke with James on Weds. All is well in Columbia!!

Anissa
FFC President
252-202-1054

Old September 1st, 2011, 12:57 PM   #11
OBXRATROD

Let me know if anyone needs any help. Other than a few down trees and limbs that didn't hit the house and a bunch of trash from the sound flooding our front yard and driveway we're good.
OBXRATROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:03 PM   #12
MissKitty

Default Hope all is Well!

I am glad to hear you all are OK. I have been worried about you all! I will send lots of good thoughts that you all can get things cleaned up and that there are NO MORE STORMS!! Take care, lots of meows and purrs,

Kim
MissKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 11:24 PM   #13
DT/NoTime

Thanks for your thoughts Anissa. The house is usually four houses from the sound. The house was unoccupied and the contents can be replaced. Many good friends and neighbors have stopped by to help, and it is now empty and drying out. Floors (thanks Brian), doors, walls, cabinets (?) and appliances will be next. Other friends were there today helping with downed trees and clearing the flotsam and stinky silt that covered everything, inside and out. One friend observed that just when you start running low on energy, someone shows up to revitalize the effort. I kept thinking about that last line in "It's a Wonderful Life" : "No man is a failure who has friends." Many thanks to many friends here. My heart goes out to those whose homes and lives have been disrupted by this storm. -DT
Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:14 AM   #14
DT/NoTime

One last thought, while looking over the pile of soaked stuff in front of my house, I noticed someone picking through the items in my neighbors trash. I went back inside to give him some privacy while he walked over to mine and knew, without a doubt, that I had nothing to complain about. -DT